View topic - Ride-out summary 12-Nov-17

Ride-out summary 12-Nov-17

This forum is for news and information regarding the Pennine branch and it's events.

Ride-out summary 12-Nov-17

Postby Cabernet » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 pm

A tale from Tony C

Tony-C wrote:Some time ago, Kevin, (a frequent attendee of the Pennine Branch), and myself talked of a ride-out a little closer to his home turf ... He always seems to be eager to travel to our neck of the woods, then ends up having a bit of a trek to return home ... Earlier this week he asked if I was up for a ride-out in the Peak District ... I was only vaguely familiar with the major routes of this patch, so a chance for a more detailed trip seemed in order ... Three of us, ( Kevin, Paul, and myself met up at Birch services, M62, and made our way towards Holmfirth's neighbouring little town of Hepworth ... This enabled us to fuel up our bodies with a great breakfast, in a fantastic venue ..... The Oil Can Café ... What a place ! I am sure many of you are aware of it ... I will definitely be dining there again , and viewing the many interesting exhibits ... From there we headed in the direction of Stocksbridge, before taking a route through some mighty fine Peak District scenery, and passing by Strines and Ladybower resevoirs ... before taking the time for another brew at a Tea-room in the vast estate that is Chatsworth ... Refreshed, it was time to think of riding back before the meagre amount of daylight was threatening to turn to dusk ... Two bikes were also in need of refreshment ... So, a fuel stop was made in Calver ... This is where I spotted an 850 T3 burbling past, whilst giving me a nod and a cheery wave ... The route back from there took a couple of detours, enabling us to experience lesser travelled routes ... All in all, a very pleasant ( if a bit chilly ), day out for the three of us ... Good company, good food, good scenery ... We should do again .... Regards, Tony
Cabernet
MGCGB Member

Return to Pennine Branch